slidell, what you are wanting to do IMO does make quite a bit of sense. basically a 1" tube scope that saves the weight, and uses the reticle instead of worrying about how robust and precise the internals are to make the shots. Not a bad option. I do use holdover sometimes on shots out to about 500 yards depending on which gun I am running. SFP works great as long as you don't try to use a scope with too much power. frankly a big game hunting scope NEVER needs to be above 15x and if you keep the scope that power or less, just follow a simple rule, for longer shots that you know needs holdover or dialing, simply put the scope on max power. I use most of my scopes this way anyways. they are on lowest power, and if its a shot I deem to be beyond 250 or so, I simply just crank to max. Simple. no need to worry about the hold over marks changing because of the SFP deal. I have a nightforce NXS 2.5-10 mil dot I do this all the time with. The power throw lever easily is slung to max is I am shooting further than 250 yards.

as for reticles. I think I like ones with consistent marks on them rather than the ones like the burris ballistic plex or leupold B&C. I would rather have something like the zeiss Zmoa, or plain mil dot or even the TMOA or TMR type reticles that leupold has, something along those lines. That way a simple JBM chart can just be cut out and taped to your stock, and if a 450 yard shot requires 2.2 mils of holdover you just hold a scosh more than 2 mils. Otherwise with the burris bplex or leupold B&C you have to go back to the owners manual and figure out what the subtentions are. with consistent marks be it mils or MOA, no need for that.