Originally Posted by gerry35
Does Ron Smith still make barrels? There is another gentleman in Red Deer I believe, (Bob Jury?) that makes barrels and people seem to be happy with them. Would like to hear more about him. Bevan King made good barrels but he passed away a couple of years ago.

Gerry;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weekend treated you well and it's as nice up in your part of the province as it was down here.

Over the years I've had two barrels made by Ron Smith - both were stainless - I think both were the gain twist he's known to make - I know one was for sure and want to say the one on our youngest daughter's .250AI is too. It shoots, I can say that for it and it's not a fouler. I can't say if Ron is still making barrels or not however, sorry.

That .250AI was put on by the late Mick McPhee out of Kamploops and he made a few barrels before he passed way too young. I've heard nothing but good things about Mick's barrels - but again he's gone now.

When I was into a bit of hunting rifle competition many decades back, I lost money a few times to rifles made with Ted Gailard barrels. He was in Pathlow, SK and there's still a website up so perhaps he's still making them, though I don't know that either.

As Mauser98 noted - good to see you posting sir - the folks at Chilliwack have been making barrels for a bit and the only things I hear about them are good - but again I've no direct experience with them.

Anyway Gerry, overall my post was more a walk down memory lane than a source of updated information - which seems more and more the case with my posts anymore... laugh

All the best to you all as we head into warmer weather.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"