Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by rickt300
I would be interested to know the rockwell hardness of the buttpad! Brutal in the 338 I had.

Must be a YMMV thing....... The difference in actual and/or felt recoil between a .300 Win and a .338 Win in like rifles is negligible. I never found the .300 with the factory pad to be at all hateful. Considering the weight of the gun, it's actually, likely the softest shooting .300 I own or close to it.

I disagree on that! The 338 with 250 grain bullets loaded to top velocities out of that stainless Ruger I had was brutal! That rifle broke 4 scopes during initial sight in, ended up using an old weaver 4x. It did however with the one exception provide quick kills and was one rugged rifle.

No doubt a 250g loaded high will create a lot of recoil. For my 180g/.300WM and 225g/.338WM lods the difference is abut 28 pounds vs 32 pounds recoil. I reserve "brutal" for my .45-70 "Rhino Blaster" loads, 460g @ 1812fps and over 50ft-lbs recoil. And the "Max Dram Equivalent" 3-1/2" turkey loads.

28 pounds...………………….32 pounds...……….34 pounds...………………. Kinda what I was getting at. Not a significant difference.

Not sure how you managed to break 4 scopes with it sighting it in. Just wasn't your day, maybe. I've not shot any .338 Win that I'd call "brutal". Shot a lightweight .338 Rum that was a fun ride. Still not "brutal". But definitely
snappy.

YMMV

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.