Hold the hacksaw! I've got the same .22 Mag./3" 20 gauge M24H-DL and if there is a more practical walking around rambling rifle, I've yet to find it. First off, unless your M24 is different than mine, there is some choke construction in the end of the barrel likely around modified. I had a 20 gauge pump cut down once and that straight cylinder bore made the thing nearly useless until I fixed it with a Polychoke. I think that I remember that the camper specials didn't have much choke in them and were shorter, but I sure wouldn't trade or try to make my DL into one. I had a scope on mine for a time and it made the shotgun barrel nearly worthless. The .22 Magnum isn't a long range cartridge in the first place, so if you want the gun to lose some weight here is what you do: Remove the scope and the rear iron sight. Get a Williams peep sight on it and gain 6.5" in the sighting radius. That makes it lighter than it was with the scope, better balanced, usable with both barrels, increased sighting radius, retain the choke in the shotgun barrel and don't screw up the resale value with a barrel butcher, save the money to make a sows ear out of an existing silk purse. The Savage factory made it right to start with.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory