Originally Posted by bwinters
I decided to start a new thread on 45 Super platforms rather than dig through a bunch of threads in my other threads.

I've now had all the pistols in my hand that I'm interested in. The one I keep coming back to is the Kimber 1911 platform. In my Google-Fu on the Kimber 1911, seems alot of discourse on feeding issues with the Kimber 1911. Some claim tight tolerance that require a break-in, some claim junk magazines, some claim 'best platform ever created'. My goal for this gun is backpack carry, both hunting and plain ol' backpacking in bear country. Ran into a crabby old boar a few weeks back in the Smoky's. He did a bit of huffing, jaw popping but we both backed off and all was well. I've run into this behavior more than a few times in the Smoky's in recent years.

For the stated purpose, I'm finding the 4.5-5" barrel guns and full size platforms a bit less handy than I'd like. The 4" Kimber Pro Carry is about perfect to me.

What say you guys on the Kimber 1911 platform, especially the 4" Pro Carry for a 45 Super for backcountry carry?

Thanks for all your thoughts so far.

I love my SS Pro Carry (AL frame) but I wouldn't try to do 45super with it. Mainly because recoil spring selection gets hyper-critical and Wolff only makes one extra power recoil spring. The pistol is hard enough on recoil springs - typically last less than 500rnds. If you load it heavy (230gr850fps - remember this is a 4" barrel), keep an eye on the recoil spring. When you hear a "crinkle" when racking the slide slowly it is time for a new spring.

Last edited by dla; 05/17/19.