Originally Posted by gunner500
OH CHIT! I will forever be grateful for men like my gunsmith, I was picking up some work he'd done in his shop one day, a guy came in with some sort of pre-64 FWT rifle with a ebony tip, may have been a super-grade FWT, the guy ask for a recoil pad to be installed, I didn't, and still don't know much about pre-64 model 70's but I damn near went weak kneed and fell in the floor when he said that.

My 'Smith, the fine man that he is, said, "Thanks for coming in today Sir, and I want to do business with you, but I wont do that to that rifle" that guy looked at him and then me like he was hit in the face with a hubcap fulla dogchit, God Bless Men like my 'Smith! smile

I worked part time for a 'smith that had a similar issue. The man had died and the widow came in wanting 2 rifles reblued: one a model 54 in '06 the other a model 94 in 30-30. She said she was gonna give one each to her sons and wanted them reblued to be equally nice. We both tried to reason with her that the rifles were not of equal value to start with and that reblueing them would decrease their value. The 54 was 95% and the 94 was 85%. She insisted that her boys were gonna get "equal" guns and demanded that they both be refinished. The shop owner got tied of arguing with her and took them in. I polished the 54 with a tear in my eye and reluctantly polished the pre 64 94. I wasn't there when the lady picked them up, I hope she was satisfied that she cut the value in half. I don't know what son got what rifle, or if they knew enough to know what happened to the heirlooms.
The customer is not always right!

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right