I was able to fill my tag this morning on the only day I had available to hunt after not filling the tag during my original allotted time. It was a jake with 4" beard (if I stretched the beard a bit) and nubbin spurs but I'll take it over tag soup.

I didn't expect much, it is windy, cloudy, and threatening to drizzle all morning. I didn't hear a gobble until well after sunrise and the bird did the usual and wandered off to the south someplace. A couple hours and a few moves had my hopes down. I returned to my original stand area as it was the only place sheltered from the wind. I called a couple series and kind of dozed off for a minute or two. I woke and gave a couple clucks when I saw movement to my left. It was a pair of birds that looked like males but was difficult to tell due to immaturity.

I was finally able to see a beard on them but I couldn't move as both were looking at me. When they put their heads down to feed, I got the gun up but didn't have a shot as they were too close together and we are allowed only one turkey in MN. Finally, the one wandered behind a tree and I was able to shoot the other.

I was able to bloody the Mossberg 930 on something breaking its string of bad luck. A handful of excursions for turkeys and waterfowl had none seen and a pheasant hunt had it acting up due to poor cold weather ammo. Now, I have to decide between it and the Browning Gold for such duties.