Those K cars had all the class and character of a washing machine, but they were never designed for class. Basic, cheap running transportation, for that they couldn't be beat. The K car and the mini van saved Chrysler's bacon.
No experience with the GM X body cars. I did have a Chevy Celebrity I drove for work, but every other Chevy I had were V-8 powered Novas or Monte Carlos.
Buddy of mine had a Vega POS, and another had the Pontiac version called the Astre. We called it the ashtray. The metal in those things was cheap. They'd rust in the showroom!
I always thought Chevy should have made them a little better and offered a small V-8 like the Ford Maverick.
I had a Maverick for a while. With the 302, they would really scoot. Also had one with the straight 6. That thing would go where mountain goats would avoid! grin
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden