I've had a lot of cars by most standards.
My "Old Man"'had a salvage, hence dealer license.
When I was younger, I had a nice '72 Monte Carlo with a big block. Wasn't worth a damn in the winter, so I'd get something running decent and switch tags and insurance when it got ugly. Mavericks made pretty good winter beaters, usually sporting flames or "ZZ Top" stripes.
After I had a family and got out of the service, I kept a good car for Sunday "Go to Meeting" for Wifey 1.
I ran a cheap beater to work. I'd go with Dad to a dealers auction, buy something (always American, but no Brand loyalty) for 4 or 6 hundred bucks, and run it till something that cost money broke. Then I'd buy another.
I did that for probably 30 years or more. Most of them, I wouldn't drive them where I couldn't tow them home! grin
Only one that didn't pay for itself was an Olds Cutlass that blew shortly after I bought it.
After Dad went on and I married Wifey 2, I can't do it now. I drive a 16 year old Ranger now. She's on her 3rd Subaru. She drives 40 miles to work, and had 2 Forresters that ran over 250 thousand miles with very little repair.
Worst I've had was front wheel drive GMs with 4 cylinder. Just kinda crappy cars.
Had 3 K cars over the years but for the most part I bought stuff I could work on. V-8s with drive shafts.
I'm not claiming to be an expert, just sharing my experiences.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden