...of hunting based upon the ground.

When I went to Texas I did not really understand the use of baiting, until I walked around a bit. There was very little soil and slabs of limestone the size of dinner plates everywhere creating a sound like walking on dinner plates no matter how quietly one tried to walk. We helped the guides look for a wounded and lost deer, really got to understand how thick and nasty Texas bush is, I came away with a much greater appreciation of the way things are done in Texas as I was very convinced that I would have had zero success still-hunting. As a point of reference my two closest shots on Whitetail while still-hunting were at 8 and 18 yards so I do know how to do it.

Now when I go to a new area I study the ground and listen to the locals and figure how to hunt from there.

I have never shot an animal farther than 400 yards, truth be told I have yet to make a 400 yard shot but have a handful in the 390 yard range. I have three dialing scopes and practice out to 550 yards although I don't expect to shoot that far. Shooting at distance is a great way to hone ones skills as the greater the range the more each little error shows up.

My hunting is by the large majority walk, spot and stalk, sneak and peak, and least common is sitting in informal stands. seems to wrk for me.

Thanks for starting an interesting thread GW, thanks to all for throwing in their thoughts, I hope y'all have a great day.

George.