The Perris Special arrived this week. I do own rarer rifles than this, but this is the rarest Savage I own. I'm starting to put a collection of these together. It's been 30+ years to add this one, I wonder how long it will take to find the next? The 1986 letter from Roe Clark indicates this gun listed as a "carbine" with a rubber buttplate and a round barrel. It was shipped summer, 1904. He states later "There were only a few of them made, as Savage came out with it's own design, (Featherweight) which was similar." I find this surprising as a carbine is hardly a featherweight. This rifle has a standard heavy carbine barrel and if it had a sling ring and a carbine buttplate, it would be a carbine. Reportedly, there were at least 30 Perris Specials made and I wonder if they are the same configuration as this one? Or, do some of them resemble featherweights? And if so, why would some be made one way and others made differently? Certainly, fascinating questions, at least to me. I have never seen a rear sight like this - curious if anyone else has? It appears to have no mechanism for elevation. Maybe this was considered unnecessary as a tang sight was fitted as well? The tang sight is marked M.S.A. Co. Gladstone, Mich. It is the only tang sight I have with a rear push button. And, the striping in the wood is very interesting. My speculation is that it is sap that took the stock stain differently than the rest of the wood. Thoughts and comments would be appreciated - and if anyone has anything in print on these, I would be enthralled grin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/steve004/gunsafeandroom046.jpg[/img]