Every spring, for the past few years, Fieldgrade and I head out for a day of varmint shooting. In our area, the critters we shoot are Columbian Ground Squirrels, but I've never heard anybody call them that in these parts. It's know as "squirrel shootin"

We were a couple weeks later getting out this year due to me being busy and the weather being a bit dicey. Ground squirrels like sun and nice days. Trying to shoot them on a bad weather day is like pissin' up a rope.

Made it to the spot where we park and usually get some warm-up shooting before we walk a bit.

FG got some shooting using the pickup for a rest. I convinced him that due to my pickup being a Dodge product and a diesel on top of that, the cold 70 degree weather might make getting it started again a chance we don't want to take. So he had to shoot with the pickup running. Nothing like a little added challenge.

[Linked Image]

I don't think he believed me about needing to leave the pickup idling, because later I caught him trying to shoot my antenna off when resting on the mirror. He is a crafty guy.... wink

Despite all my precautions he got some squirrels for the cooler with his CZ .22 and we were off to grand start.

We loaded up our gear and headed for a walkabout to the next spot.

Once there, I managed to convince FG to set up right behind a 2" steel post that effectively cut off 50% of his shooting opportunities. The wires on the fence blocked another 40% of his shots. smile

[Linked Image]

We were using centerfire here and stretched things out a bit. We cussed and discussed many things and every so often shot a squirrel. The cannibalistic squirrels were especially targeted.

Shot of the day was made by FG when he dusted one especially skinny squirrel that was standing on a stump. Yardage was around 150 and even with sticks that's a tough shot. I cheat totally and use a bipod prone.

By the end of the day, we had our limits on squirrels. I graciously gave my share to FG and I'm sure he was up well past midnight cleaning squirrels.

A good time was had by all, except the squirrels