I've never owned the Weaver windage adjustable rings. When I look at them I conclude the design is flawed. It seems to me that if a set were mounted on a one-piece base (or the top of a flat top AR type rifle, or a two-piece base well anchored so as to act as a one-piece base), adjustment would create two axis that were parallel, but not collinear. If so, this would torque the scope tube, and possibly lead to ring marks.

However, I should make it clear that I never purchased a set of rings and tested them to see if I am correct. I have the education and experience to believe I am correct, but I will not state it as fact unless I am more sure.

Redfield style windage adjustable rings are supposed to allow the front ring to rotate to "point" to the rear ring. The rear ring should theoretically not turn to "point" toward the front ring, but it appears to me that there is enough "flex" in the design to minimize the issue. I don't see much "flex" in the Weaver design to allow the rings to align. (I don't like the Redfield system, but mostly for other reasons.)

All that said, I really do like the "plain old Weaver" rings and bases, especially the steel bases. But I remain skeptical of the Weaver windage adjustable rings.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"