Paul[/quote]
Originally Posted by greydog
When I have this sort of misalignment, I generally use five-minute epoxy to bed the scope into the rings. If I need to raise the front ring, (and, in this case, it hasd to come up quite a bit) I cut a thin strip of business card which will lie in the front of the front ring. I then wax the scope tube, degrease the bottom half of the rings, mix the epoxy and put some on each ring. Then, put the scope in the rings (don't dawdle!) and snug the tops down (not too tight. just enough to bottom at the rear of the rear ring while the front is supported by the card). Let it set up for a half hour or so then remove the scope and trim off the excess epoxy and there you have it. The bottom halves of the rings will be perfectly aligned with the scope tube and the scope will be sitting in the correct attitude. GD

I use this method with good results as well. I figure that If the scope tube is not straight, at least I’m not stressing it. On the other hand, if I was switching scopes on a rifle or planned to, I would use the precision steel bar method. These are both sound ways of going about this.

Every scope I put on a rifle is glass bedded to the rings with none other than JB weld.

I would check to see if there is shim under the rear base before shimming the front base or ring.