Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Anybody coming that owns a 6.5 PRC ? I accidentally grabbed a box while hoarding for my 6.5 Creed. Would like to swap for something, like maybe 22 WM. PM me.

I know that Blue has one. Doesn't Dennis have one, too?Ed

No, he's got some 6.5 x .284 thingy. A fad purchase.

Hey now, maybe you ought'n to mind 'yer language with those "thingy" and "fad" utters. The 6.5 in the Win .284 case (rebated) might seem like some past fad, but maybe you guys were too young to remember when and why it became popular and a winner "thingy" with knowledgeable shooting/hunting guys. Back then, Sam May (Apex barrels) up near Flagstaff turned out quite a few and two of my buddies had them. Those barrels were ACCURATE and the cartridge design gave a performance edge over what many others and I were shooting at the time. I was mostly hunting then and the 6.5x55 seemed perfect for deer, easy/inexpensive to reload, Swedish Mil rifles were nicely finished, etc., etc.. - and I had not yet developed any taste for a hybrid. Later, when that taste developed a bit (and the kids were on their own), I went to the 6.5/06 and skipped right past the 6.5/284 Win idea. Have often wished I had given one a try, and Dennis' rifle seems excellent. Maybe it has an Apex barrel. In your experience, how does the 6.5/06 compare with these newer/fancier 6.5s? Mind you, I did not refer to those newer 6.5 "thingys" as a "fad"?

If you never met Sam May and discussed barrels with him, you missed some good moments. Same thought about Paul Marquart. While away from the SW for a while, I lost contact with Sam May and later went looking. He was in a nursing facility in NM and passed away there some years ago, apparently very much alone except for one fine caretaker.. Folks in a knowledgeable circle at the time said that some employee did Sam out of his barrel business (and other stuff) on a shady maneuver, but I do not know the veracity of that story. I simply know that he made accurate barrels (cut).

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron