Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
Let me try to re-phrase my question with a bit more detail: We're not always in the type of situation where it's convenient to check zero by shooting: sometimes you're back in the bush and simply don't want to shoot in the area you're hunting. If you have a severe fall, I'd do it anyway. But how about a more minor fall of the rifle: say you've leaned it up against a tree or large rock and it slips off onto the ground. This is with a good quality scope and mount properly mounted. Just trying to get a feel of how such a relatively minor fall would likely effect zero. thanks for the responses.

It was my first out of state elk hunt. Rifle was a Mark X Alaskan in .375 H&H, scope an IIRC 1.5x5X Redfield. Not sure if the 1.5 is correct. Rifle was leaning against a tree when I left to do a call of nature and on the ground when I came back, confused Set a cardboard box up at 25 paces and the shot was about 4 inches off POA. There wasn't enough adjustment in the scope to bring it even close. I took it off and did the rest of the hunt using the iron sights. That's when I learned that one should always have a back up rifle, especially if hunting out of state. All my previous hunt had ben in my home state where a drive to get another rifle would not have been a problem. I've have three scopes self destruct though, two at the range and one on a hunt. I held for a broadside lung shot on a cow elk at 350 yards and the bullet hit her at the base of the skull breaking her neck. A check at the range a few days later proved the scope had gone toes up. I have to think that shot on the elk has to be one of the luckiest shots I've ever made.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE