Originally Posted by 22250rem
Gorgeous....... You caught it at that very short time span when the sun's just peeking over the horizon, ( hill in the way on this one), and the clouds are high enough so that the suns rays are almost coming at the clouds from beneath. I sometimes take sunrise photos on Lake Ontario where it's water as far as the eye can see, I've been to Montana and that "big sky" analogy fits in here on miles of open water, too. Sometimes get great shots before the sun itself breaks the wide, flat horizon which is just flat water with no hills or land visible. It's applicable at sunset also. Try it again some morning or evening where you can see for miles and have a relatively flat horizon, ( depends on the clouds, too ), You might even get a better one if you catch it in that narrow time limit. I call it a "photogenic sky". Get any p.d.'s ?

I don’t think many people realize what a narrow window of opportunity there is in a picture like that. I had to dynamite the brakes, then get in a position to frame the shot with the sun rays and clouds where everything aligns.

Without the hill, you get no perspective of the sky and clouds to give the best dimensions for depth of field and still get the sun to reflect on both the top and bottoms of the clouds. Within 1 minute the photo was not the same and of no real value for it’s photographic potential...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]