With a Lott, there is no issue regarding compressed powder charges.

While in South Africa last summer, I was hunting mountain reedbuck. My PH brought me to a 200 year old farm owned by a friend of his who had mountain reedbuck that were eating his crops. They only came out at dusk.To make a long story short, one finally appeared and I missed the shot with my .30/06. Too dark, really.

The next morning, the farmer brought out his prized DWM Mauser which had been made into a gorgeous .458 Lott built with old world craftsmanship by a riflesmith who obviously knew what he was about. I was invited to shoot it and found it to be quite accurate.. Recoil was tolerable and the iron sights were dead on.

I was so impressed that when I returned home, I decided I wanted one. I happened to have a Winchester custom shop Model 70 .375 H&H that IMO was a bit too heavy for a .375. It would have been perfect for a .458 Lott, however. I was going to send it to JES to be rebored. Shoulder surgery intervened and the project was scrapped. No more heavy recoiling rifles for me. iI is now on consignment at our local gunsmiths, still a .375.