flintlocke;
Good evening to you sir, I hope this middle weekend of June treated you well.

With the understanding that we really don't know what happened here as this wasn't my rifle at the time. I have this in my possession.
[Linked Image]

Also destroyed was the fore end, barrel and butt stock. The hammer was never found. I want to say the nice Pachmayr push in swivel bases were fine.....

A good friend had a FN action Husqvarna blow completely up on him. The only part we were able to salvage was the safety, though it strikes me that the bolt shroud might have been okay too. All else was broken in the resulting melee. The extractor was never found on that one.

I've had an 8 lb caddy of what was sold to me as VV N160 go bad on me. I found this when I first blew a case on a Ruger No. 1 in .300 Win Mag and then had a case go on my Ruger 77 in .308 Norma Mag. let go. Both actions handled the gas venting admirably might I add.

After the second case failed in as many shots, I was obviously done shooting for the day, went home and promptly pulled the bullets. What I found was that the powder was reddish and caked solid in the cases. Some cases actually had cracked at the neck and a few at the shoulder.

The remainder of the caddy of powder was warm to the touch..

Here's a link someone put up for our edification last time we chatted about this on the 'Fire - though that may well have been a decade back or more?

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=157820

Anyway along with those, I can recall a couple .308 cases cracking at the web when I was new to handloading and hadn't figured out my dies quite yet. That wasn't too, too bad however as I recall, not nearly as bad as when the powder went bad on me.

This topic reminds me vaguely of folks' experience with black bears in that they didn't give me any problems either, until one did, you know?

As always that's just one guy's thoughts on the matter and there's lots of roads to the proverbial Mecca for sure.

All the best to you as we head into summer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"