Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Quite frequently on the various forums here, I see fellows asking and discussing the ability of this action or that action and it's gas escape engineering provisions. AND making rifle build decisions with that as a factor. WTF is that all about? In 55 years of reloading, I can honestly say, I've never had anything more serious than a primer back out on an old lever action rifle with headspace problems. I shoot a LOT. I have a hundred yard bench shack in my front yard and a 700 yard clanger range in my back yard, bought powder by the keg until they started selling it in cases Do I need to perk up my load by substituting Bullseye for the same old 4831 or what? Get me some gas blowing back.

I had a Remington 303 British factory cartridge split on me one time. I felt a little jet of gas across the back of my arm. Nothing in my face. Whoever designed the gas-handling features of the No. 4 Mk I SMLE did me a favor that day.

Okie John

Replace factory Remington with WWII vintage Radway Green ball and you've got my gas handling adventure story.