Originally Posted by damnesia
Mainly wondering if they're decent quality. My first choice would be an old Winchester 1892 but in 25-20 or 32-20 those things are pricey, even for a shooter.

They are solid built little guns, perhaps a little on the simple side when compared with later guns. The barrel and receiver are machined out of the same stock of metal so you can't change barrels. Some on the forum find this a detriment. I'm a bit indifferent to it. The top of the receiver has three factory holes drilled at the rear. The early 23s may have only two but the holes are for fitting Savage's No. 10 and 15 receiver sights. Lyman also made a 48Y that fit the 23s. I wouldn't pass on a non-factory drilled 23 with a Weaver side mount and scope if the work was clean and everything was in good shape. You could also use the factory receiver holes for making your own scope base. I did so for my 23D by using a length of dovetail stock I got from Brownells. There are always a few on Gun Broker, albeit most are asking way too much money.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"