Originally Posted by liliysdad
They are solid scopes...but incredibly lacking in relevant features such as FFP, zero stop, decent turrets, etc....

I would disagree with the decent turret part.

I now have two SIII's, and 8-32 and a 6-24. I can't comment on the rest of their models. It's true that they don't have all the features that the tactical market wants but to be fair they weren't designed as tactical scopes, they're designed as basic long range target scopes that track reliably and have good glass at a reasonable price. For my purposes, long range plinking and prairie dog shooting, they work great because I don't need the mentioned features.

I just got the 6-24 a week or so ago and it replaced a burris veracity 5-25 which does have all the cool features but unfortunately didn't possess one of the most important features, that is glass that doesn't look like you're peering through the bottom of a coke bottle. I got increasingly frustrated with it on my last PD shoot with it's poor image quality and mirage handling. When I got the SIII I took the burris off of my 20 practical and mounted the sightron. I put it on the bench, took the bolt out and bore sighted it at 100 yds. Fired one shot, it was 5" left, dialed 20 clicks right then the next shot took out the center of my target dot. I fired four more shots in rapid succession and the 5 rnd group was about 3/8". Pretty boringly simple when the scope does what it's supposed to do and having just removed the burris I was grinning from ear to ear after looking through the signtron, the difference in glass quality is night and day.

I haven't put the 6-24 through it's paces but my 8-32 has been dead on reliable in it's tracking in the years I've had it, I trust it as much as my nightforce which is something I can't say about any other scope I have. I hear people say they don't trust the sightrons to be as durable as a nightforce but I've never heard of anyone actually breaking an SIII, they usually follow up it up by saying they feel that way because they're not as heavy as a nightforce. I'm sure someone has broken one, just like some have broken nightforces, but you don't hear about it much.

Anyhow, there seems to be a $2000 price point that it takes before you can get all the features you want and have good glass with spot on tracking in a higher magnification scope. If you can live without the zero stop and FFP then the SIII's have quality glass, tracking & reliability for a lot less than that.