Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
[quote=LarryfromBend]I shoot both a 44 Special and a 44 Mag. When in Griz country (almost everywhere around here lately) I load 285 grain Hard Cast WFNGC bullets from Beartooth bullets @ 1250 fps in the Mag. In Black Bear country like NE Oregon, I take the 44 Special with 240 grain JHP Noslers @ 1050 fps. If I carried one of these for defense against humans it would be with the 200 grain XTP @ 1130 fps in 44 Special cases --- It's crazy accurate in either revolver.

Am curious what the resident "scientific consensus" is for jacketed hollowpoints...on bears.[/quote

My point was that Black Bears are different than Griz. I don't believe in HPs for all bears.-- just Blacks. In the places I frequent, the difference between a Griz and a Black is kinda like the difference between an Elk and a Whitetail. I think a hardcast would work fine for Black Bear also, but people with way more experience than me say that HPs are more effective. In fact, I used to load 255 grain WFNGC hardcasts in the 44 Special for Bear protection on the Oregon Elk hunt before I got my mind changed.