You have .228 diameter 45's? Assuming .224" bullets, I would try 8 grains Unique to start and not go higher than 12 grains. The reason for using a fast powder like that would be to smack the undersize bullet sharply on its butt to bump it up to full groove diameter as quickly as possible, to lessen gas cutting past the bullet which will hasten throat erosion. Savage ain't making those barrels anymore. The slowest powders I would try for making loads of 2000fps with a .224 bullet would be 4198, Reloader-7, or something of that ilk. You would have to consult an old loading manual for a good idea of such starting loads. (If the manual doesn't have .22HP data, .219 Zipper data is a pretty safe bet for starting points.)

4895 is always a good choice for concocting mid-range loads as even Hodgdon considers it perfectly safe down to 60% of max loads. But, I don't think it delivers that smart quick spanking to the base of the bullet.

Of course, if you lucked into some 45 grain Sisk .228's, your possibilities are a little more varied. With them I would go straight to the Reloader-7 or 4198.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 06/24/19.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty