I've got several rifles I've used for elk. The scope I've liked the best is a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 compact NXS. I've also used Leupolds ranging from various 3-9s to a VX-5HD 3-15 and SWFA SS 3-15s.

As far as the complaints about Leupold, I have yet to see one mechanically fail on me in terms of holding zero etc. but I have seen some clicks that were maybe as much as 5% off the listed values. That didn't bother me much, but I suppose it could bother someone. In my experience Leupolds hold zero well even on very high recoil rifles. They're one of the least expensive scopes that can claim that IMO and their low power scopes appear on a large number of Africa rifles for a reason.. I am leery of random internet complaints about the repeatability of scopes, because in my experience a large number of setups have problems in the mounting system, ammunition, stock stability or with the shooter that cause "wandering zeroes" when really it's [bleep] rifle/ammo or bad shooting.

The SWFAs suffered one breakdown that I'm honestly uncertain if it was my fault. SWFA bent over backwards to replace the scope on their dime when all I asked for was a repair on my dime. That made a good impression. The glass is however rather undistinguished.