Originally Posted by waterrat
I've had a few dedicated brown bear rifles. I carried a 358 Norma Mag for years with perfect results, then I had a hunter with a (then brand new) 425 Express and as part of his appreciation on a great moose took my 300 WM with him and he delivered it the following spring on his way to Kodiak. A real powerhouse and I settled on Barnes X 350gr @2300fps, great cartridge, I killed a brown bear here in the middle of the night at about6' away on his hind feet. And then a friend of mine and Phil's was here and announced his Old Ugly clone was for sale,, a quick trade for a Ruger 77 in 257 Bob with 300 loaded rounds was made. I killed (follow up's and tracking wounded) 7 brown bears the farthest being about 50'.
About this time the forums erupted with 400 Whelen glee, having impulsed before I did it again,, instead of waiting for a Springfield and buying a new reamer I bought a beater Enfield and had a fellow use a worn reamer, it shot fine and I used it on 3 brown bears with the 400 Woodleigh @2150fps. I decided it needed a facelift and as a whim I ISO on AR for 411KDF dies. I hit the jackpot!! Jim Weisner contacted me with dies and a reamer,, I got all the parts and pieces to my friend and gunsmith (Andy Hawk) and this is the end result.
Boyds,Shilen,Dayton,Timney, leupold,new bottom metal,etc.

Phtobucket kicking my ass tonight!!

Pretty doggone serious bear rifle! But... you do some pretty serious bear hunting too. Very cool.

Thanks!