Originally Posted by Tejano
Epoxy can yellow badly and "sugar" up and look white after it ages. Any of the better varnishes for boat bright work can be a good choice. SeaFin Teak Oil is a good one, Epifames is very good, and I have had good results with Cetol. The first two can be mixed with oil for subsequent coats, I don't think Cetol is compatible with oil.

That's what I was talking about when I spoke of epoxy's vulnerability to UV light, and recommended a good varnish be applied over it.

In the marine industry around here, Cetol is regarded as a joke. It's what the lazy boat owners apply to their brightwork when they don't have the stomach for doing a proper varnish job.

Teak oil puts us squarely back into the debate over the eficacy of oil finishes in general. It's been hashed to death, and everyone has firm ideas regarding same.

Ignore the protocols developed by the marine industry at your peril when considering finishes for treasured wooden sporting objects that may well get exposed to extreme environments. What's good sauce for the goose is good sauce for the gander.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty