Yes I agree and may have mixed up Cetol with another product, plain old Helmsman's may have worked better, but no warts on Epiphanes and I would use it on a boat or a gun stock as a filler only at least.

But if you are not sure what to get many have worked out the formulas already. Custom Classic, Pilkington Pro Stock, Velvet Oil, Permalyn, and even Tru Oil or Linspeed will do a creditable job. I look for ones that have polyurethane and alkyd varnish both. The key to making it look like an oil finish is to apply oil first usually with alkanet root stain. Different types of wood will want one to four coats, careful with very open grain wood as it can go almost black. Then use the varnish type finish heavily as a filler and then take it back to bare wood with the pores filled. Then as Art and others have posted use a mix of the varnish and oil of your choice to go over this wiping most of it of. Tung oil has very slightly better water protection and to this I add turpentine and both Cobalt and Japan Dryer. Lead is even better but not worth the hazards. Turpentine polymerizes with the oil and mineral spirits do not. A difference of a couple of molecules but enough for me to use the Terp.

If I am going over a "bowling " alley" finish I scuff it up with 320 grit and add shellac to the mix which sticks to anything. I rub down after every coat or every other one.

Once you reach the desired finish level the key to me is to wait a couple of months and then rub it out with Rotten Stone (volcanic ash) or diatomaceous earth, about a 3 micron exoskeleton remnant from the pre-cambrian era.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli