Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by hotsoup
Roundup and 2-4-d kills with one application.

That's the ticket. Glyphosate is mostly a grass killer. 2-4-d works better on broad-leafs.
2-4-d by itself will probably kill the ivy and won't kill any grass.

Sorry guys. This just is not true.

Glyphosate kills the broadleaf plants as effectively as it does the grasses. Adding 2-4D to the mix just allows you to see the broadleafs wilt sooner.

All it is, is a feel good thing.

When I want everything dead, I use Glyphosate. It leaves bare ground behind.

When I want to leave the grass alive, I use Brash, Weedmaster. or Range Star interchangeably to kill blackberry, willow, scotch thistle, canadian thistle, bull thistle, wild rose, sweet clover, or dandelions out of the lawn. I bought 2.5 gal of Range Star at the local Farm Supply for $69 last week. I mix three quarts into a 25 gal ATV sprayer for 3% and kill everything I need to.

It is much less expensive to use just the chemical you need to use, and it is more environmentally friendly.

I'm a dumbass, not a horticulturalist, or chemist.
But the extension people, and ag folks recommend the mix to kill resistant weeds,
And more mature weeds.

2,4D is for killing broadleaves, but leaving grass.
Glypho, tries to kill everything.
But, they each enhance the killing power of the other.

Again, if you disagree, Penn State Ag is who you are arguing with.
Except, I will say, in my experience, it works.

Oh, it certainly works. But you will certainly never see a pro applying it that way as it would be wasted money out of his pocket. When spraying 500 or 1000 acres, that's a lot of cash.

When your dealing with a 1/4 acre lot, it is not such a big deal.

And by the way, I carried a commercial applicator's license in Oregon for 12 years, and controlled the weeds on a out 400 acres of commercial property during that time.

Previous applicators used the mix of Weedmaster and Roundup. When I took over the account I used Weedmaster for 98% of spray duties and made up a tank of Roundup when needed for grassy patches.

I reduced the cost of materials by over 50% for that account compared to the average of the previous five years.

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 07/12/19.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.