I did well this year (so far....Tags are not as good as meat)

I and my wife have enough elk, deer and antelope tags to fill all the freezers if we get all the game, as well as to help out 4 elderly folks we go to church with, who are now to a point in their lives they cannot hunt themselves anymore. 3 are "old Ranch Wives" and love game meat, but being in poor health and in their 90s, they can't go get it anymore. One man is in his late 60s but has both keens in such bad shape he can't walk without crutches.
So my wife and I do it for them if we get all the tags we want. This year we drew 2 bull elk, 1 buck deer, 3 doe deer, 2 antelope buck and 3 antelope doe tags, totaling 11 combined.

We hope to be a real blessing to the old folks at church and fill everyone's freezers for Thanksgiving Christmas and the coming winter. Barbra, the oldest of the 4 is a lady who was on one of the larger ranches on the Sweet Water river in Wyoming for over 60 years. She and her husband ran about 20 ranch hands all those years and in the hunting season she and her sister, and her brother in law would do the skinning, butchering and processing of all the game on the ranch in their meat house and cold rooms. Talking to her is just a joy. She told me "Kid (I am in my mid 60s and I am "kid" to her) I have shot skinned and butchered more game then you have and I am sure of that. When I figure out that about 20 cowboys and ranch-workers were hunting every year for 60 years and in those days getting 5-10 head per worker was common, she is probably right. 20 hands X 60 years X lets say 7 head a year as an average, would be 8,400 head of game. Yeah..........that's more then I have done.
She is so fun to talk to because she was an avid hunter and loved to shoot and comes from the era of my father and so you get a very good over view of how hunting was done commonly in the depressions and all through the WW2 years clear through the 70s and you can see how things change and how they don't I find the old lady has a lot of good wisdom concerning guns and ammo too.

She would rail against some hunters when they would bring in game "Quit blowing them up ya moron"
It's funny to listen to her stories.
And she knows what she is talking about to. At 98 she is still sharp and her mind is very clear.

Last edited by szihn; 07/13/19.