When I need a tent, for the most part a double wall tent is preferable. I don't have a good, light one right now.

When I'm carrying a tent, backpacking, right now I'm using a Tarptent ProTrail. Previously a Notch. Comparing them, each has pros and cons. What I really liked about the Notch was side-open. For me it's a lot easier to get in and out of without dragging dirt, sticks, and [bleep] into my tent, plus easier to sit inside with my feet out to lace up my boots. On the other hand, the ends of the Notch are both low and I had problems dragging my head against the tent material when I'd sit up or try to get dressed inside and wind up wet. I decided the end-entry negatives were more than offset by staying drier.

Most of the time when I'm hiking, rather than a tent, i use a bug bivy and hang a tarp if I need it. I have 2 bug bivies I use fairly often. First is from bearpaw wilderness designs. Seems like when I've mentioned this in the past, a lot of people here have reported problems with the product and with customer service. I haven't had problems with mine so I haven't had to test their customer service. Guess I got lucky. Anyway, its a thing to be aware of I think. The other I use is an REI Bug Hut I. The BPWD bivy includes a tub so no ground sheet is needed. The REI unit requires a ground sheet. From the waist down it drapes directly over you/bag. From the waist / chest up, it is a "square dome (2 crossing poles) with really good head room. I often don't unpack the tarp but I carry it. I have 2. Mostly I carry a Mountain Laurel Designs monk tarp but I also have a z-packs hammock tarp.

For me the need for a tent is colder weather and wind ... or more extended bad weather where I'd want to hunker down for a day or two. The single wall tents, even staked against the ground, don't seem to completely block wind. I'm not in any hurry but I'm definitely eying one person double-wall tents. In the mean time, I haven't used it, but the plan to carry me over is a regular bivy. Don't yet know if I can use it w/o too much condensation. If you are going to be hunkered down in a tent for a while, it's worth the extra weight of a 2 person tent even for one person. In old days I carried an REI Half Dome everywhere. Later when I was hiking more dry weather, it became my car camping tent. After the poles finally disintegrated, I replaced it with a Marmot Limelight 2. Both remain marginally viable, though heavy, options probably worth the extra weight if you'll be in the tent a few days.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...