Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by SamOlson
That said some of the newer vehicles seem to need more juice at start up for the all the electronic chit.

I’ve seen cars that would crank, but not fire. Sure enough, ‘‘twas the damned battery.

FC

Not necessarily just newer vehicles. I have a 2001 Dodge truck I bought 6 months ago. Got in it to go and it would not turn over one day. Cleaned the terminals and tried it and it was completely dead. About that time a pal came over and I asked him to jump me off. His battery spun the starter normally but the truck would not crank....and it always started easily. Every other vehicle I remember jumping would start if you could spin the engine. I thought something had gotten fried in the truck's computer, the fuel pump, coil, ....all kinds of stuff came to mind. I talked to a mechanic friend who said a new battery would most likely start it because of what Sam said about not enough juice.....sure enough it fired right up.

I'm still not sure I understand it. My friend was in a car with a smaller battery maybe not enough amps for the electrical system in my truck or something. But the morale of the story is that jumping off is not always as straight forward as you think

Last edited by RJY66; 07/19/19.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn