Originally Posted by gophergunner
At this point "growing up" means retiring. I'm getting a little closer to that. I want to do some volunteer work, maybe take a part time job in a bait shop or gun shop. There's nothing I'd like to do more than introduce some kids to the great outdoors and help set them up with a kit of gear to get started.

Agree with the volunteer work. Have a cousin whose husband was a professional wood worker by trade. When they retired to Florida, he hooked up with Habitat For Humanity. Because of his skills, he ended up being "the guy" who inlet 2x4's and 2x6's into the kitchen studs for mounting cabinets. IIRC, he did the "inlets" for more than 500 kitchens before he passed.

I have always admired / envied the guys in the trades who could drive up and down roads and point out "I helped build this. I helped build that. I helped..." At the end of the day, they have something tangible to show for their work. In my line of work, when I walk out the door at the end of the day, there is nothing to indicate that I had ever been in the building...