Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by UPhiker
[quote=Szumi]We managed to get B-25's with bombs off of a WWII carrier (Dolittle raid on Tokyo). I'm thinking we could at least launch a partially armed A-10 off a carrier.

Props "bite" the air as soon as the plane starts to roll. Jets have to get a little speed up to force air into their intakes. That's why a jet doesn't slam the throttles all the way until it's rolling for a bit.

Bullshit. Fans put out maximum thrust standing still (fans are nothing more than a ducted prop). In all reality an A-10 already has landed and taken off from a carrier deck. They only had to modify the already in place tailhook and they didn't use a cat shot to get airborne. wink

[Linked Image]

That's a photoshopped pic. The original is an X-47B landing... The A-10 has never operated from a carrier. USAF fighters do however have a tailhook. It's used for emergency landings on USAF runways with BAK-12 arresting cables.

https://www.cnet.com/g00/news/hooked-x-47b-comes-in-for-a-carrier-landing/?i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3d&i10c.dv=19

"Jets have to get a little speed up to force air into their intakes" however, is entirely bullshit.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.