[Linked Image]
This is my neighbor. I live on top of the mountain, this house is down in the valley. This house was just built a few months ago.
There is no room in the tiny yard for a septic tank, plus, there is a creek 15 feet from the house on the right side.

[Linked Image]
They had to install a complicated septic tank system.

[Linked Image]
In the background is a typical 1,000 gallon concrete septic tank. But, in the foreground, is a two-chamber, 1,500 gallon tank.

[Linked Image]
Here the typical 1,000 gallon tank is in the foreground, the two chambered 1,500 gallon tank is in the background.
The sewage goes into the 1,000 gallon tank. Then the overflow goes into the first chamber of the big tank. There is a pump in there, which pumps the liquid sewage uphill 100 feet to a plastic tank buried in the ground.
Then the sewage flows back downhill into the large chamber of the big tank. And then, another electric pump sends the waste, back uphill.

These guys had a hand held Ditch Witch, never seen such a thing. A big Makita chain saw motor, with a bar about 3 feet long with little bitty ditch witch teeth on it. They got up there on the mountain and made 500 feet of ditches, which were just 6 inches deep! These ditches are about 120 feet up the mountain side. Very steep hill about a 70 degree slope. And they ran 500 feet of plastic pipe into those ditches.

Complicated! I have a traditional septic tank so this thing is very very complicated to me. The company that is installing it drove down 90 miles from Lenoir NC. They told me that the cost to the home owner is $40,000.