I have but do not refer to Tarrant's book much, it isnt bad but not to my liking. It is the same story with all teachers - some do a better job of connecting to a particular student than others. Tarrant's just never did much for me.

The three books I refer to the most have been NAVHDA's "Green Book", Larry Mueller' " Speed Train your own Bird Dog", and Ken Roebuck's, Training Pointing Dogs". Bob Wehle's "Wing & Shot" is another that I think is good but is a bit long and came after I had the others.

The NAVHDA book was written for the "versatile" or Continental breeds but can be applicable to any pointing dog. I've referenced it for over three decades on all types of pointing dogs. I have found it particularly helpful as using it can bring out the utmost in those aspects looked at as weak in many pointing dogs.

I liked the other two books as they were very basic, written in a manner easy for me to understand and apply, and dovetailed well with what I already knew and the equipment I had on hand at the time. The chapters were broken down into easy to find information when I had a problem.

The best training resource I found was a good training group. I started with NAVHDA and whole heartedly recommend them regardless of pointing breed. Many members have Pointers or setters in addition to versatile breeds so many are familiar with the quirks and idiosyncrasies of the various pointing breeds.