Raton isn't too far from the Eagles Nest/Red River area. If you like to fish for trout or fly fish, it might be worth an extra day to head over there and see that country. Really nice this time of year, but being the last week or two before school starts, may be wall to wall people too.

You could stay in the haunted St James hotel in Cimarron. Old place, still has bullet holes in it from the wild years.

Personally I would skip Cadillac Ranch.

I'm not a real big fan of the Big Texan, except that it is famous, and may be worth the stop just to say you did, and take a few pictures. Cattlemans in OKC is the place to stop if you want a good steak on your run down I-40. Probably the best one you will get on your trip.

Palo Duro would for sure be a nice side trip, but it's gonna be hot down in the bottom. If you could combine seeing "Texas" one evening while you were in the Canyon, that would make a pretty good combination.

Panhandle Plains museum in Canyon is good too.

If you need reloading supplies, then Gene Sears in El Reno is a good stop. Not much browsing per se, they are mostly a distributor. But tell them what you want and they probably have it. Small storefront, but huge stockroom in back. Not open weekends though, just weekdays.

When you pass through Shamrock, give a wave. I live 30 miles south of there.

Last edited by JTPinTX; 08/07/19.