Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I realize there is a huge difference between being struck by a rattler and dying from it, but the Wiki page on snake deaths just consumed an hour!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States

I tried to paste the chart but it turns into a huge jumble... some interesting facts from their chart from 1950 to the present.

From 1950 to present they list 73 deaths by snake bite and 54 of those were rattlers.

Nine were exotics

Six by copperhead

Two by cottonmouth

57 males and 16 females.

13 were professional snake handlers killed by their keepers and I added one in there that died during the Brownsville Round-up.

20 died handling snakes at church services

So that means 53 deaths by wild snakes in almost 69 years.

In 2018 an 18 year old committed suicide by monocled cobra in TX.

Looks like your chances of being killed by a snake are mighty skinny if you do not go looking for them. There are no deaths listed for WY and only one in CO. Florida, TX, WV, TN, and a few others make up the vast majority. I saw a statement that a quarter of the snake bites in the US happen in TX, but cannot find it again. I also recognize the fact many instances in past decades would not get reported the way they are today and many are not included.

Sorry for the sidetrack...

Interesting stats.

The one stat I did NOT see was how many people got bitten and WISHED they had died. Google "rattlesnake bite aftermath" and hit "images".......... It ain't exactly pretty. Additionally, the hospital bill that ensues is routinely in the $100K+ range.

I hunt (predominantly) spring turkeys in Wyoming, Nebraska, Texas, Old Mexico, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland............all places that have a variety of rattler species. I'd much rather look around and take in my surroundings and ENJOY my hunts rather than have to look every time I put a foot down. My Irish Setter snake boots were about $150.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.