Originally Posted by wabigoon
Any bikers on the 'fire been to the rally at Sturgis?
Every year... Just got home last night at 7:45 - after a 12-hour run from Custer.. And the best part is - NO FLAT TIRES!!!!!

Lotta rain... Man, SD makes Ireland resemble the Sahara desert... Most parts of western SD have had up to 300% of normal yearly rainfall. Last Friday,(IIRC) we got stranded in Custer when the city got nearly 7" of rain in about two hours.. The French Creek flooded Hwy 16 at both ends of town.. Cops weren't letting anyone through.. One official said it was a 100-year flood. Somehow, my son got to the camper before they shut down the roads and got my truck in to pick us up.. Checking the forest service maps and the navigation on the truck, I - and three others following us - took the forest service roads (single-lane, gravel, weedy at times; really not much more than squirrel tracks) some 35-40 miles up and around and finally landed on 16 about 8-9 miles west of Custer..

A small, private RV park on the southern edge of the city got ravaged.. One camper floated away a bit and wedged up against a tree. A couple more vehicles were carried by the current into the stream bed.. The city park and ball field on the western edge of town will take a lot of work and money to get it back into some kind of reasonable condition..

Tuesday was the best day - sunny, warm and no afternoon storms.. Can't wait for next year.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!