The most practical handloader I've evern known was Eddie Simons, a guy I hunted with considerably from far eastern to far western Montana in the 1970's. He never used a scope, because he believed they were unreliable--because in his early experience, they were. But he was a VERY good shot with irons, and owned two centerfire big game rifles, a Savage 99 .250-3000 and a "sporterized" Argentine Mauser in .30-06 he bought through the mail while in high school for $20.

He used IMR4320 in both rifles, with the "middle load" in the Speer manual he bought in the 1950's. and whatever 100-grain .25 or 180-grain .30 spitzer was cheapest in the local stores. With those powder charges, both rifles shot very close to the open sights, and he killed a BUNCH of deer and elk with both rifles. But I also never saw him shoot anything beyond 200 yards, and usually the range was closer--though I also never saw him miss.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck