Originally Posted by Swifty52
The first electronic ballistic chronograph was invented by Kiryako ("Jerry") Arvanetakis in the 1950s. As consulting engineer under contract by NACA (later NASA), he was asked to find a way to accurately measure the velocity of various projectiles fired at hyper-velocities into a variety of engineered materials in anticipation of manned space flight. His first design was an open rectangular frame of square aluminum tubing with a screen of fine copper wire at both ends. Breaking the first wire started charging a capacitor, breaking the second wire stopped it. Measuring the accumulated voltage and knowing the rate of charge the elapsed time could be accurately calculated.

I never heard of that one. I would be surprised if it were more accurate than 2% or so because charging a capacitor is just not a very good method. The astable flip flop using vacuum tubes as a time base is much better and was available in the 1950s. All chronographs since 1960 used a crystal oscillator as the time base. Worked better and cost less.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.