Originally Posted by MOGC
Thats beautiful work. I have no experience using the stuff, how does it hold up in comparison to a modern cutlery steel like S30V in actual use?

Two different knives. The S30V would more than likely hold an edge better. You are getting down to the “carbon vs stainless” argument there. In the most general terms here is the take. Naturally there will be exceptions, but generally the feelings about carbon and stainless are as follows: Carbon will get sharp, many times it will be subjectively sharper than stainless . However, because it’s carbon, most of the times it won’t hold an edge as long as a stainless. However...carbon is much easier to re-sharpen...much easier than stainless in the field. After all things are considered it boils down to what a person wants out of a knife. I make both carbon and stainless blades and am split about 50/50 now on my orders. I don’t like to have a “carbon” guy and a “stainless” guy in my shop at the same time because both usually feel strongly about their knives and they start throwing hammers and stuff at each other.

S30V has had its problems in the last few years, leading to the introduction of S35V....I prefer CPM154 stainless over either of those. Sharpens well and holds an edge forever.

Last edited by Godogs57; 08/09/19.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.