Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Long as ya remember to always use it from a kneeling position, some of the best advice re: small axes I ever got.

But then I AM clumsy.

I bought a SFA over 10 years ago and immediately put a longer handle on it. That made it a little longer and less handy, but significantly reduced the probability of hitting my legs on the down swing.

I bought it to replace a 1970/71 vintage Nordland Hudson Bay style axe. I still don't know if I like the SFA any better than the old Nordland axe, but it does take and hold an edge as well as any axe I've ever owned.

One of my friends liked the SFA, but is too frugal to ever spend enough $$ to buy one. He bought a Marble's Camp Axe and put a longer handle on it. He seems happy with it and has less than $40 into it, but I doubt that it take and holds an edge like the Swedish steel does.

EDIT: I have an Eastwing Campers Axe and find it useful to share/loan. It is as rugged as a crow bar, but it doesn't take or hold an edge anywhere nearly as well as the Gransfors Bruks or Wetterlings axes that I have owned or sharpened.