So here’s the scoop. While at work I read on the Leupold website that this is somewhat common. And to shim the scope in the ring as a correction. Once I got home I grabbed the Tasco set it back in the rings and it was on zero still for the most part with a ton of upward travel left should I have needed it. Set the leupold in and same trouble as before. It was odd that the ring caps fit fine over the Tasco and one cap doesn’t fit worth a hoot on the Leupold. So I measured them. The tasco is .003 less than an inch and the leupold is .004 more than an inch. The ring sort of snaps into place over the scope. So reading today some more on shimming scope and different material sources I found that my Costco milk jug is about .020” thick. Cut out a shin and it came to zero pretty handily. It still seems odd to me that this would happen and makes me think that I’d never want a Ruger high power if this problem is common. With any other base one could place a shim under a scope base and I would have preferred that.