Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Have a 4x4 Mahindra 6530 with a FEL. VERY disappointed in it. Alternator started acting up at just past warranty coverage and now it won’t start at all, even with a fully charged battery. Pretty danged sorry for a tractor with just over 300 hours....

John

My bet is your battery has a dead short in it. You can't even jump start them until you get a new battery.

kwg

Battery shows good voltage all the way to the starter, but when I turn the key, nothing happens. All dash lights are as they should be except the battery light which doesn’t illuminate when I turn the key on. Tried shorting out solenoid with a screwdriver. It spins but doesn’t engage the starter.

As far as the alternator, tachometer won’t register any RPM until it gets good and warm. Dealer maintenance dept tells me that it is usually a bad alternator that causes that.

I still maintain that none of this should be happening on a 300 hour tractor.

John

John, I share your frustration at times.

In fact, my new tractor is in the shop for a new injector right now. It seems the more modern injectors have one injector per cylinder now, and that injector has a coil. When the electronic coil goes, the injector goes.

Electronic failures can happen when it's 5 minutes old, or 50 years old. Or any time in between.

This injector went out at 50 hours.

But if I didn't accept the fact that tractors are gonna break, and I was gonna have to fix them when they do, I just wouldn't have one.

Or maybe I'd just rent one when I needed it, and if it breaks, call the rental outfit to come get it. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!