Originally Posted by gophergunner
Those special little things you relished when you were a kid. One of mine was real butter. Money was always tight, so Mom mostly bought margarine. For cooking, she used bacon grease whenever possible. Butter was pretty much a treat for us. To this day, I feel a twinge of guilt when I buy a pound of butter, knowing Mom must be shaking her head in disgust at such callous spending.

Another was Mom's home made bread. We never ate a loaf of store bought bread. Wednesday was bread making day. Nothing else occurred on Wednesday till the bread was done and the kitchen cleaned up.

Last but not least, Mom and Dad's home canned pickles. Man, they were good.

What's your guilty pleasures from your childhood?

My wife and I both grew up milking cows. Margarine was rarely found at our house and we only eat with real butter now. But, I have to admit my Mom's pan fried chicken was a favorite treat on every 3rd Sunday. It was a pork roast or beef roast on the other 2 Sundays. It would be so great to have everyone together again but I know it will never be. My Mom also did pickles but so does my wife and they are just as good.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.