Friends:

Ran into a little situation with Delta Airlines checking my handgun in Great Falls MT for my return trip home. I had the gun in the manufacturers hard-sided plastic box with padlock securely attached in the designated holes. This was the OEM box that came with the gun when it was purchased. I declared it as an unloaded firearm all per proper protocol. I had previously checked it with no problems on the outbound trip so was not anticipating any issues.

The ticketing agent then slightly pried open the two halves of the case aside a half inch or so (with the padlock still attached) and declared it was not in compliance, because if she wanted to she could touch the gun with her finger and therefore I couldn’t check it.

Prior to this trip I had carefully reviewed the applicable rules and regulations:

Delta Rules:

• Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case or a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. ..(emphasis Delta’s)

Check

TSA rules:

• Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5
(3) (c) (2) (iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

Check

Everything I had done was fully in compliance, AFAIK.

The Delta Agent then explained that any ability to access the firearm whatsoever was a no-no. Luckily, I had another lockable case that met the spec that I had been using to hold my separately secured ammo and cleaning kit, etc. So I was able to switch the handgun into that container and lock it, then board the plane. The Delta agent was gracious enough, but seemed to have a standard that was above the airline’s own rules.

Upon return home I looked at the rules again. In a separate section covering rifles and shotguns (not handguns) it states that “The case must completely secure the firearm from being accessed.”

Long story short, I was able to make the fight, but have since gone out and bought a very heavy duty case – much heavier duty than the OEM case, that locks with two padlocks.

Lesson learned, though. Inconsistent enforcement may lead to anxieties for the less-prepared (or lucky, in my case)

So for now at least I have the situation buttoned down for the next trip. Thought I’d share my experience though… FWIW

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough