Distance changes things, significantly. In theory you are correct, a 1MOA gun at 100 should be 3" (actually 3.15") at 300 yards. Wind, in theory, isn't a huge factor at 300 yards. At 10 miles per hour, at 10,000', it's only pushing it over 3" with a good B.C. bullet. Make sure you are resting the forearm of your rifle on the pack, not the barrel. Be mentally aware of your cheek weld, breathing, trigger pull and follow through while on the pack/pod. I am guilty of this myself, you get used to a routine on the bench, but then move to the pack or sitting or kneeling or any other position and you don't think about your body's position on the rifle. Take a few shots at 100 yards off the pack and see what your group is, if it's sub MOA, your basics are good and you know the larger group issue at 300 yards is likely due to environmental. If the group at 100 yards isn't tight, then your basics need work when using the pack.

I like to know I can hit 6" consistently in a field situation (first shot, cold bore). My limit is about 450 yards in calm conditions and stationary animal. That's almost half a second flight time with my 300WM. An elk walking 3mph is moving 4.5feet a second, so have to figure another 2.25' lead, not including wind. Add in some thermals in a valley, variable wind, and it gets real tricky fast.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 08/19/19.