See my suggestions on the "Pheasant Hunting Info Needed" thread 2-3 threads down from this one. I think it will do you well for a starting point.

Minnesota can produce birds but it typically a tough hunt as it often involves sloshing through swamps to maybe find birds. There is not a lot of easier walking grass lands in MN so what pheasant hunting there is will typically be tough. I do most of my MN pheasant hunting after Thanksgiving hoping the corn is out and the swamps have frozen. If not, then one can expect to slosh around through icy water and slush all day with limited success. Between the two, I'd pick frozen water over crops being out. If you insist on hunting MN pheasants, expect a lot of mentally and physically tough hunting if going out after the first two weekends. The second through third weekends of Nov will be firearms deer season and one does not want to be out bird hunting then, especially with dogs.

I would go a little further west if chasing pheasants. Populations are generally better and the walking is not necessarily as difficult. I personally would head north and chase grouse and woodcock as numbers of them tend to be better and at least woodcock tend to hold better all of which are good for a young/inexperienced dog. It's my preference with any dog unless targeting prairie grouse where the early season tends to be better and one can hunt them before ruffs in Wisconsin in many cases. Early on, prairie grouse can hold like woodcock which is a boon to an inexperienced dog.