i have kind of always felt the 40 was a compromise between 9 and 45, that didn't have to be. Except it meant a lot of new ammo sales, new gun sales, and a fillup thrown to women and some men that couldn't handle a full size gun and load.
I also know police departments are like lemmings marching to the cliff, following the F.B.I. and what's trendy.
California is a great example. loves to spend money. and brand new glocks showing up in arizona as they "update" to the gen 4 or gen 5 glock. Or, replacing black rifles with mini 14's because they are less threatening.
There are a number of pistols in .45 that can hold 14 or 15 rounds.
i do get the idea that 9mm can hold more rounds. what i do find funny is the .356 diameter 147grain 9mm flies about like a 38 in the same grain weight. I often refer to the 9mm as a high capacity 38special.
As to the bullets when gold dot first came out, i fired some from a 9mm into 2x4's, they plugged up just wonderful.
I have fired an awful lot of 40 in a glock 23, and don't have any issue with "snap" or anything else.
But, my last handgun purchase was a sig sauer p320M17. And i basically bought both types of winchester ammo the military is using, and love those 21round magazines. One in the gun and two spares, you basically got a box of ammo ready to go. I am basically a big bore heavy bullet guy. having said that it is hard to trump 21 rounds in the 9mm, and some of the new bullets make up a lot of the atvantage of the bigger calibers, with less recoil. things change, and one of my concerns is group situations, i think the 9mm has it's place.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO